The Navarre– Denver

 

 

The Navarre was constructed in 1881 as a girl’s finishing school.  The four-story brick structure was crowned with a two story cupola, which was destroyed when the building burned in 1889.  The building subsequently was a hotel and bordello, then the home of the Tivoli Supper Club in the 1940’s-60’s.

 

When the building was restored in 1979,   Congleton Architect was commissioned to   design the façade restoration and cupola    reconstruction.  Working from two historic   photographs, Congleton designed a cupola that could be constructed on the ground using fire-resistive steel elements, and then hoisted into place with a crane.

 

The Navarre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Tivoli at The Navarre– 1940’s

Photo:  Joe Miranda